Thursday, September 13, 2012

Trying to Chop Wood

Just a quick experiment here. Cornelius, aka "Fixbutte", a moderator at www.rateyourmusic.com has become something of a mentor to me in my fumbling on that learned site, as I try to catalog my record colection there. I thank him here publicly for his patience as I slowly conquer the intricacies of capitalization (they have a rather odd way of doing it, but only in English, which must tell us something), image uploads, new artists, labels and all sorts.
He has also read the posts here that make up my "Musical Time Line" and has suggested that I upload some of the music I refer to; particularly, the early and obscure ones. An excellent idea, methinks, but it's proving tricky.
By way of experiment, I have tried using the microphone and webcam in my laptop to make a video of Joe Loss's cover of  "At the Woodchoppers' Ball", one of my first three 78s, mentioned in Chapter One, playing on my little Columbia gramophone which is quite similar to the one in that story - though smaller. Two things went wrong.
First, the sound quality is awful. It sounds great "live" but, somewhere between the sound-hole and the laptop mic, it loses all its bass (I had the speed set a little too fast anyway but not THAT fast).
Second, when I tried to upload the video to the original post, it got stuck. I had to go out and deliver some keys - was gone about 15 minutes - and it was, supposedly, still uploading when I got back. I gave up and cancelled it.
So now.....drum-roll please Maestro?......Thank You......here is my second attempt to upload it (I hope). If I succeed, I will work (another day) on getting better sound. If I fail, this post will look kinda stupid and sound kinda quiet. Let's see.
 
"We are sorry, there was an error uploading your video"
No kidding!
Supper is calling. I'll try another day.

No comments: